Produce in Belgium
There are many artistic, financial and technical reasons for producing a film in Belgium:
- Many Belgian films win awards at prestigious festivals. Creativity within the film industry is firmly embedded in Belgian culture.
- Belgium has many Belgian actors and actresses capable of performing to perfection in several languages.
- Belgium offers natural settings and locations that are impressive for their diversity and fast, easy access.
- When it comes to production, post-production and animation, Belgium has a wealth of studios, equipment and cutting-edge technologies to offer.
- Belgian technicians have an excellent reputation for the tried-and-tested technical skills, their versatility and their ability to speak and work in different languages.
- Belgium has one of Europe’s most effective funding mechanisms, the “Tax Shelter”. Through this system, more than € 160 million is injected into the film industry each year.
- The country’s three Regions, Brussels, Flanders and Wallonia, all have Funds for artistic promotion (Centre du Cinéma de la Fédération Wallonie-Bruxelles and Vlaamse Audiovisueel Fonds), as well as economic aid tools for filming in the Regions (Screen Flanders, Wallimage, Bruxellesimage). These Funds, backed by over € 10 million, are largely open to foreign co-productions. Numerous sessions to analyse applications for funding are conducted throughout the year.
- Belgian broadcasters and television distributors also contribute to productions and Belgian co-productions.
Belgian public bodies for the film industry:
Currently consisting of 5 founder-members, the BeFPA already represents over 30 per cent of the industry since in 2012 its combined members produced over 50 films and telefilms for a total production budget representing in excess of € 280 million.